Tuesday, August 5, 2008

"Oh, nevermind..."

Recently I've had to start locking our garage door during the day so the kids can't get into it. In the past I've allowed them to play in there...riding their bikes, making forts, etc. I've never really had a problem with it, we'd clean up before Dad got home and all was good. It was all fine and dandy until they got a little more inquisitive. Tools started missing, things were being taken off shelves, and the messiest discovery was a big bag of grass seed. In the time it took me to come inside and make lunch, they had about half the bag of grass seed all over the garage and proceeded to spread it around with a push broom. Needless to say I wasn't happy, so I decided it was time to start locking up the garage.

The kids hadn't noticed the locked door...until today. They went outside in hopes of playing in the garage. To their surprise they couldn't get in. Of course they come running inside acting like it's the end of the world. It was hard to contain my laughter. I told them that the door was locked because they got into stuff they aren't supposed to play with. Apparently that didn't matter to them, they were determined to find the key to the garage. Julia ran up to my room to look while Tanner started searching in the kitchen. I was sitting here watching Tanner when he looked up at the corkboard and saw a key hanging there. He quickly pulled over a barstool and climbed up onto the desk. He grabbed the key, looked at me and said "Ha ha Mom...I got the key!!" My response: "Tanner, that isn't the key to the garage, that is the key to the neighbor's house" (we keep a spare over here for them in case they get locked out). His devilish smile faded from his face and he said "Oooooh, nevermind". I laughed so hard. Here this little guy thought he had out-smarted mom. Think again Tanner! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well let's just hope he doesn't tell Julia and they get it in their minds to go over and unlock the neighbors house!

spaceyhawks said...

HAHA! That's awesome. I have to tell you how much I love reading your blogs, they make me laugh so hard, I really miss hangin out with you! ;-)