Tuesday, September 22, 2009

We may need an MRI

This morning was an especially difficult one for me. The last couple of days I have been working non-stop and to say I am exhausted would be an understatement. Exhaustion plus pregnancy hormones is not a good combination...trust me.

Our six year old didn't help matters at all today. I have been talking with her lately about her constant whining. It doesn't seem to matter what it is, she whines about it. The other day I grounded her from the phone for 3 days because of it. (Sad that a SIX year old is punishable by phone restrictions! I swear she's a teenager trapped in a tiny body!) That seemed to do the trick...until this morning. As I was pouring cereal for the kids, she pipes up and says "I think that cereal is disgusting. I don't want it!" It was Life cereal. I understand that it's not Captain Crunch or Fruit Loops, but Life isn't repulsive. It could be worse. She could be eating Grape Nuts or Oat Bran. I told her that this was the only option for breakfast and she needed to eat it. Let me just say here that she has eaten Life cereal a hundred times before...and enjoyed it. This was purely her attitude coming out. I told her several times to eat because we needed to leave for school. She absolutely refused. I was so tired of telling her, so I told her to go to her room until it was time to leave.

I went downstairs to talk with her about why on earth she's being so difficult. This is so embarrassing but I actually started to cry because I was so frustrated with her. Even when trying to reason with her and talk with her about her behavior she continued to have attitude. It really makes me feel like a failure of a mother!! I know I am an emotional wreck right now and this morning was pretty bad. As I type this I am giggling because now that I'm writing it out, it just seems silly that she got to me that bad. I told her she needs to lose the attitude and I left her room. When I went back to get her, she was packing her suitcase. She said she didn't want to live here anymore because she doesn't like making me cry. Ok...it was starting to sink in for her, maybe we were making some progress.

I sat her down and told her how much I love her and that I don't want her to leave. I'm sure there will be a time that I do want her to leave in the upcoming week, but today wasn't the day. ;) ha ha I just asked that she please try and work on her attitude and that I will help her with that. That is when a classic Julia line came out of her mouth...she looks at me dead in the eyes and says "Mom, I really don't know why I have attitude. I think there must be something wrong with my brain!" Ah, gotta love it. I've gotta hand it to her...she's quick with the comebacks. I asked her if she had this attitude at school. She replied "no, my brain must be okay when I'm at school." Even better. I guess I should be grateful that she knows where and when to behave. I am just hoping that someday soon we can go one day without a meltdown from the Princess of the house.

1 comment:

Trevor and Holly said...

I am so sorry!! I hear you though, Garrett is having the same issue!!! He does awesome at school, he comes home with rewards all the time for being such a good boy and yet he comes home back talking and whining at me ALL the time, it is killing me and I can NOT stand it!!! I feel your pain!! =( If you figure out a way to fix it let me know!! =)