Thursday, January 29, 2009

Liar liar pants on fire!

This was just too funny not to share. A few days ago Matt was having a really hard time falling asleep, which meant it was quite a battle getting him up and ready for school the following morning. I thought to myself, I bet I get a call from the nurses office today...saying that Matt is down there with some sort of illness. Sure enough the call came in later that morning. I happened to be talking with someone else at the time so I just let that call go to voicemail. A few minutes later I checked the message. Now try and imagine the most monotone, unenthusiastic, depressing voice you've ever heard. It was Matt and this is what he said..."Um, it's Matt. Well I have a really bad migraine and the lights are really bright and all the noises are really loud. Um.....well.....ok.....bye." Gosh darn it, I was right....again. :)

So I call the nurses office and say "I think you have my step-son in your office there". The nurse let me know that she sent him back to class because he's not running a fever. What?? Do they check for fevers when you complain of a headache? I asked her why he had come to see her and she said that Matt was complaining of cold symptoms, said he couldn't stop coughing and that the little kids had been sick this weekend, so he must be getting it now. Hmmmm....very interesting. I asked her if there was any complaint of a headache...she said no.

Well being the evil step-mother I am, I had to think of a way to catch him in his own lie. For heaven sakes, if you're going to lie, at least keep it consistent man!! He makes it too easy for us to bust him. Ha ha ha. When Matt walked through the door that afternoon I really laid it on thick. I gave him a hug and told him I was so sorry he had such a terrible headache and that it would be best if he just stayed in his room and relaxed, since the tv would no doubt aggravate his condition and the kids get quite loud as well, so he should probably have some quiet alone time. He looked at me and said "Oh, my headache is MUCH better now!" AMAZING!! HE'S CURED!!! Little did I know I was such a miracle worker! Demons be gone!!! Not to be outsmarted I looked at him and said, well I can't imagine your cold is getting any better, so it's probably best that you still stay in your room, so you can make a quick recovery. He just looked at me with a deer in the headlights look and had no idea what to say. Um hello? Matt?? Earth to Matt! When he finally 'came back' I told him I had talked to the nurse. He looked completely shocked. Ha ha ha. We had a nice chat about staying in class unless he's bleeding or dying. :) With any luck this won't happen again, but if it does, hopefully the kid has learned enough to make sure the lies match up. :)

2 comments:

Trevor and Holly said...

That is too funny!!

Nicole Stenzel said...

LOL That is awesome! Don't you remember high school days girl!