Thursday, July 31, 2008

Simply having children does not make mothers...

For the most part I try to leave my personal and emotional issues out of my blog entries. I try to keep my posts upbeat, happy and hopefully entertaining. It is so relaxing and almost theraputic to write on here, so I'm going to take a chance on writing down some more personal thoughts.

Those who know me know that I love kids. I always have and am so grateful for my sweet babies...(although not always sweet!) There is nothing more infuriating to me than a mother that neglects or abuses her children. I am not claiming to be a perfect mother, I know I am FAR from it! I'd like to think, however, that I put out a good effort to be the best mother I can. My children always come first and I would do anything for them. I guess this is why I get so lit up when I learn of a child that is lacking the attention or love that he or she deserves.

Today I was reading through some entries regarding a child who is longing for love and affection from their mother. In these notes it indicates that the child is afraid to go to bed at night knowing their mother will talk negatively about them once in bed. This same child has been sent to bed on numerous occasions without dinner because they were being "bad". I'd like to know what it is that is bad enough to send a child to bed without eating. In these same notes the doctor who was talking to the mother and child asked if they do anything fun together during the week. The answer, no. The doctor also asked if they have meals together, talk together and discuss the days events. Again, no. How sad and unfortunate for this child that there is no safety or trust from the one person who should care the most. The doctor challenged the mother to have at least ONE meal together with the child per week and to do ONE fun activity per week. Why does this mother need to be told to do that?? It just baffles me. This child suffers from several issues. Issues that require consistency, organization and effort put out by their mother. Of course she doesn't follow through with anything. These issues are damaging them physically, emotionally and socially. They are constantly picked on at school by their peers. The doctor writes in her notes "I truly feel that unless something motivates mom to make the child her priority, our visits are probably a waste of time". My heart breaks for this child. This mother has been given the greatest gift and she could care less.

Hopefully something will change soon for this child. Until then all we can do is hope and pray that his situation improves.....fast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This really is an unfortunate situation for the child. More than unfortunate, it's an outrage. I sincerely hope things work out for the best for said child and that they will be happy, healthy, and that their environment becomes a loving one in the near future.